Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST 1)
25,000Yen per person 20,000Yen Locals Price Available
Includes course materials, 2 full days of instruction and certificate upon successful completion
This 2 day introductory avalanche course is designed as the first step for winter recreationalists interested in spending time in the backcountry. It is highly recommended that you take this course before you consider travelling in avalanche terrain. The curriculum is provided by Avalanche Canada and covers essential backcountry travel skills such as companion rescue, terrain evaluation, formation of avalanches, trip planning and many other critical skills to help you make informed decisions.
This is a certified course offered under the authority of Avalanche Canada. Please visit their website for additional details on this course along with a number of other great learning resources.
2020 – 21 Course Schedule
- Course Dates / Location / Availability
- Dec. 5 & 6, 2020 / Niseko / Open for Registration
- Dec. 12 & 13, 2020 / Niseko / Open for Registration
- Dec. 12 & 13, 2020 / Kiroro / Open for Registration
- Dec. 17 & 18, 2020 / Niseko / Open for Registration
- Jan. 2 & 3, 2021 / Kiroro / Open for Registration
- Jan. 7 & 8, 2021 / Niseko / Open for Registration
- March 1 & 2, 2021 / Niseko / Open for Registration
- March 6 & 7, 2021 / Niseko / Open for registration
**20,000Yen Locals discount available to all Japan residents on all AST 1 courses.
Please bring your resident card or Japan issued ID for verification at course check in.
***For Kiroro courses, an additional 2000Yen charge will be applied to cover the resort`s backcountry access fee (Kiroro season passholders exempt)
Additional course dates will be added as these courses fill. Please contact us if you are interested in taking a course but these dates don`t work for you.
Niseko Courses: For Niseko courses, we offer a free shuttle from Hirafu to the course location.
Kiroro Courses: These courses take place in the Kiroro Resort Mountain Center. Unfortunately we are not able to provide transport to Kiroro courses.
AST 1 courses start at 9:00am and run through until approximately 5pm each day.
- Avalanche rescue equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe and backpack)
- Ski touring equipment (AT skis and skins for skiers and snowshoes or splitboard for snowboarders) – rental available*
- Regular ski / snowboard wear
- Spare goggles and gloves for field day
- Extra layers for field day
- Additional gear details will be provided with pre-course information and discussed in trip planning classroom sessions
If you don`t have your own backcountry equipment, Rising Sun can supply rental equipment at discount rates for course participants.
- Avalanche safety equipment: 1000Yen (covers rental as needed for duration of course)
- Touring equipment: 1000Yen (covers rental as needed for duration of course)