Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST 1)
28,000Yen/person 25,000Yen/person Discounted Rate for Locals
Includes course materials, 2 full days of instruction and certificate upon successful completion
This 2 day introductory avalanche course is designed as the first step for winter recreationalists interested in spending time in the backcountry. It is highly recommended that you take this course before you consider travelling in avalanche terrain. The curriculum is provided by Avalanche Canada and covers essential backcountry travel skills such as companion rescue, terrain evaluation, formation of avalanches, trip planning and many other critical skills to help you make informed decisions.
This is a certified course offered under the authority of Avalanche Canada. Please visit their website for additional details on this course along with a number of other great learning resources.
2023 – 24 Course Schedule
- Course Dates / Location / Language / Availability
- Dec. 7 & 8, 2023 / Niseko / English / Open for Registration
- Dec. 9 & 10, 2022 / Niseko / English / Open for Registration
- Dec. 16 & 17, 2022 / Niseko / Japanese / Open for Registration
- Jan. 2 & 3, 2024 / Niseko / English / Open for Registration
- March 8 & 9, 2024 / Niseko / English / Open for Registration
**25,000Yen locals discount rate available for all residents of Japan!
Please bring your resident card or Japan issued ID for verification at course check in.
Additional course dates will be added as these courses fill. Please contact us if you are interested in taking a course but these dates don`t work for you.
AST 1 courses start at 9:00am and run through until approximately 5pm each day.
- Avalanche rescue equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe and backpack)
- Ski touring equipment (AT skis and skins for skiers and snowshoes or splitboard for snowboarders) – rental available*
- Regular ski / snowboard wear
- Spare goggles and gloves for field day
- Extra layers for field day
- Additional gear details will be provided with pre-course information and discussed in trip planning classroom sessions
If you don`t have your own backcountry equipment, Rising Sun offers discounted rentals to all course participants as follows:
- Avalanche safety kit as needed for the course: 1000Yen
- Touring equipment as needed for the course: 1000Yen