Avalanche Skills Training – Level 2
AST 2: This is 4 day course builds on the foundations of AST 1 and is the next step in your avalanche education. Course objectives include progressive planning and safe travel techniques, increased proficientcy in companion rescue, use of the Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale (ATES system) and use of the Avaluator 2.0 as a decision making tool.
This is a certified course offered under the authority of Avalanche Canada. Additional course details along with a number of other great learning resources can be found on the Avalanche Canada website.
Course fee includes course materials and 4 days of instruction using the Avalanche Canada AST2 curriculum.
Backcountry touring equipment is required but not included in the course price. Splitboards are highly recommended for snowboarders. Please contact us for more detail and pricing.
2017 – 18 Course Schedule
Dec. 11 – 14, 2017
March 6-9, 2018
Additional course dates may be added on request if there is sufficient interest.
- Avalanche rescue equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe and backpack)
- Ski touring equipment (AT skis and skins for skiers and snowshoes or splitboard for snowboarders)
- Regular ski / snowboard wear
- Spare goggles and gloves
- Extra layers to stay warm in the field
- Additional gear details will be provided with pre-course information and discussed in trip planning classroom sessions
If you don`t have your own backcountry equipment, Rising Sun can supply rental equipment at discount rates for course participants.
- Avalanche safety equipment: 4000Yen (covers rental as needed for duration of course)
- Touring equipment: 6000Yen (covers AT Ski or splitboard rental as needed for duration of course)