Avalanche Skills Training – Level 1
25,000Yen per person 18,000Yen Locals Deal Available on Early & Late Season Courses
Includes course materials, 2 full days of instruction and certificate upon successful completion
AST 1: This is a 2 day introductory avalanche course designed as the first step for winter recreationalists interested in spending time in the backcountry. It is highly recommended that you take this course before you consider travelling in avalanche terrain. The curriculum is provided by Avalanche Canada and covers essential backcountry travel skills such as companion rescue, terrain evaluation, formation of avalanches, trip planning and many other critical skills to help you make informed decisions.
This is a certified course offered under the authority of Avalanche Canada. Please visit the Avalanche Canada website for additional details on this course along with a number of other great learning resources.
2018-19 Course Schedule
Dec. 8 & 9, 2018** (18000Yen discounted locals rate available!!)
Dec. 13 & 14, 2018** (18000Yen discounted locals rate available!!)
Jan. 3 & 4, 2019
Jan. 12 & 13, 2019
March 2 & 3, 2019
March 9 & 10, 2019** (18000Yen discounted locals rate available!!)
**Locals discount available to all Japan residents. (Please bring your resident card, Japan ID or Explore Niseko locals card when you arrive to check in for the course)
Additional course dates will be added as these courses fill. Please contact us if you are interested in taking a course but these dates don`t work for you.
- Avalanche rescue equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe and backpack)
- Ski touring equipment (AT skis and skins for skiers and snowshoes or splitboard for snowboarders) – rental available*
- Regular ski / snowboard wear
- Spare goggles and gloves for field day
- Extra layers for field day
- Additional gear details will be provided with pre-course information and discussed in trip planning classroom sessions
If you don`t have your own backcountry equipment, Rising Sun can supply rental equipment at discount rates for course participants.
- Avalanche safety equipment: 1000Yen (covers rental as needed for duration of course)
- Touring equipment: 1000Yen (covers rental as needed for duration of course)